Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Monday, July 14, 2008

Bilingual babies

Bilingualism and language acquisition has always been a fascination of mine, primarily because I was a bilingual baby myself. According to my parents (who would know) I spoke in a mix of French and English until age 2 or so, after which I realized that those were actually two separate languages. Since then I have maintained an equal level of fluency in each language (though there are quite a few topics that I can only discuss intelligently in one language). My brother, on the other hand is much stronger in French than in English, which no one in family has a good explanation for.
This intriguing article on Science Daily explains that children reared in bilingual homes learn language differently from monolingual babies. I'd heard that before, and in particular that bilingual children retained a much better ability to learn new languages in adulthood than do children raised with only one language. I've certainly experienced that to be the case. Which is why is baffles and saddens me when immigrant parents don't teach their native language to their kids, or when anyone claims that bilingual education is bad for children.

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

Thanks, BelmontMedina for sending me this related article in the WSJ: http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2008/07/14/the-merits-of-learning-another-language/

Anonymous said...

Hi Natacha! It's Natalia A. I randomly saw your comment to me on Feministe, and thought I'd write you here. I'd love to contribute to your blog sometime, if the invitation is still open. Above all else, thank you for your kind words.