Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Friday, July 11, 2008

Warrant issued for al-Bashir

I recently spent a week in Shanghai, which was QUITE the...experience. I'm getting together my thoughts on that, and on the Jesse Jackson-Obama furor.

In the meantime, a bright spot in an otherwise horrific situation- thanks to the tireless efforts of prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo (I hope he wins a Nobel), the ICC is issuing an arrest warrant for Omar Hassan al-Bashir, president of Sudan. He will be charged with genocide and crimes against humanity. Nothing like following in the footsteps of Charles Taylor and Slobodan Milosevic.

A few months ago, I saw the documentary Darfur Now. And one quote in particular has stuck with me. Pablo Recalde, head of the World Food Program team in West Darfur, was talking about the risks his drivers take delivering food, and about why he's even there, thousands of miles away from his family*:
"It is my responsibility as a human being. Punto."





*forgive me if I misquoted, I tried to double check online, to no avail. But you get the gist.

No comments: