Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Friday, May 2, 2008

Being two things at once

The other night, BelmontMedina and I were discussing the democratic primary (still):

Natacha: you know, Obama could probably convince a lot of people to get over their racism by emphasizing that he's half-white and was raised by white people.
BelmontMedina: yeah but that would antagonize black voters, they'd think he was being uppity or something.
Natacha: why can't he be two things at the same time?
BelmontMedina: Americans don't think like that - you think like that because you're French.
Natacha: French people don't think like that either. I think like that because I'm bicultural.

When I was little I used to tell people I was half-French and half-American, and my mom would correct me, saying that I'm all French AND all American, and that is in fact how I feel, 20 years down the road. In the eyes of others my label depends on their perspective. In the States, people say I'm French, in the same way that Maruka is Mexican or that Jenneepah is Korean. The "-American" part of my identity is assumed. In France on the other hand, I am either "d'origine americaine" (of American origin) or people will say "elle vit aux Etats-Unis" (she lives in the US). The greatest confusion is when I'm in another country altogether - I have to introduce myself as either French or American, otherwise it gets too confusing. At the same time, I never feel as much myself as when I'm traveling outside of the US or France. That's about the only time I get to be "just Natacha," without having to decide between being a local or a foreigner.

2 comments:

N said...

I think people will assume one's identity by the skin color. In the case of Obama, he looks more African-American, therefore, people might consider him a full black man instead of half-white man.

Nathalie said...

I'd forgotten about this article...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/magazine/23wwln-lede-t.html?fta=y