Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The city life vs. suburbia

At dinner last night KT and I were talking about the cultural gulf between Suburbians and city people. In the DC area especially there is a clear distinction between the District people and NoVa folks, and what is especially interesting to me is the rhetoric of fear on both sides. Take my friend Lo, for example. Lo is a nice Midwestern girl who moved to DC for college and never really looked back. For the past two years she's been living in a run down converted 1-bedroom in Eastern Market with two roommates. Lo walks to her job near Capitol Hill, takes the metro and buses when she ventures further than that, and knows the bartenders at most of the neighborhood pubs and dive bars around DC. On the rare occasions when she ventures over to Virginia, she'll tell anyone who will listen that NoVa is scary - the manicured lawns, picture-perfect yuppiness a mask that surely must hide a far more sinister truth. In the District things might not always be pretty, but they're honest, and real.
And then there's Christy. Christy is from a Northern New Jersey suburb, and six years after moving to DC she holds on to that frame of reference as the kind of community where everyone should live, or at least want to live.
These days she lives in Arlington, in a luxurious high-rise with a private swimming pool, a parking garage, and all the amenities you can imagine. She lives two blocks away from the metro station, but drives everywhere both for convenience and because she is very safety-conscious. As a single woman coming home alone, she doesn't feel comfortable outside the protective shell of her car. She comes into the District to socialize at high-end restaurants and clubs and knows exactly whom to email to get onto the guest lists for the hottest parties. Her RA in college once told her that the Green Line was unsafe, and she would never tempt fate by venturing into Columbia Heights. Why subject yourself to the dirtiness of the city when everything is so much nicer in NoVa? It'll be interesting to see what Christy and others like her do when Tyson's Corner eventually becomes more urbanized.
I'm trying to be as objective as possible as I write this, but I have to admit that I'm with Lo on this one. I live in Midcity, that newly-designated buffer zone between Dupont and Logan Circle, largely because when I moved in three years ago it was the best I could afford and as 20-year-old living alone for the first time, I was much more concerned with safety than I am now - or rather, the past three years have ingrained in me an appreciation for the glorious grit of less gentrified neighborhoods like Eastern Market, Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill or NoMa (which I hear is "the next next next U street," whatever that means).
So what is it about the city that feels so right to me? For one thing, my frame of reference is Bourg-la-Reine, a comparatively sleepy suburb of Paris which looks more like residential parts of DC than anything else. It would feel wrong to not have sidewalks overflowing with people of all ages, occupations and colors, and to have anything but my feet and maybe my bike be my main mode of transportation. By age 12 I had the routes and schedules of most of my area's bus lines memorized, and at 13 my friends and I would take the subway into town to picnic in the Jardin du Luxembourg. As a sidenote, I don't get the uproar about letting a 9-year-old ride the subway alone - my parents did similar things to me and considered it a safety exercice.
A major reason people choose to live in Suburbia is that cheaper real estate means you can afford a bigger place. Until I was 14 my parents, brother and I lived in a 1,000 sq ft (100 m2), three-bedroom apartment and it never occurred to me that this could be considered small. Today I live in a 400 sq ft (40 m2) studio with my cat - which I consider perfectly adequate, my Kentucky relatives think is tiny, and my father thinks is huge. Go figure. A French developer would have made two studios out of this space, and young French singles would stand in line to rent them... which actually makes me think of another Froggie vs. Yankee difference - "what you need" vs. "what you can get." But that's for another time.

10 comments:

Katherine Tobin said...

I fully agree with your posting (and not only because it was based on our conversation last night!), and want to add that the NOVA/DC divide is so pervasive, many people have given up trying to understand "the other." Case in point--ask 20 DC residents if they know where Highland Street is. Chances are 19 of them will roll their eyes and say "I don't understand Virginia's street system." (Probably 16 of 20 NOVAites, on the other hand, would know that Highland is a major street in Clarendon.) But on the other hand, ask a NOVAite about the Circulator or 30-bus series, and be greeted with blank stares. So, whether it's a cause or just part of the vicious cycle, people tend to stay on their side of the river because they don't seem to know how to navigate the other side.

cs said...

With the Trader Joe's and Target, I no longer need to go to Virginia...it's a great feeling. I wish DC could tax those freeloaders who come in and use the services, then skeedaddle on back to their circles of commuter hell.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have been living in Adams Morgan for six years. We enjoy the city and would like to stay, but we are shopping for condos and houses now, and even with the sour market, prices are high. We never thought we would consider NOVA (Arlington, Courthouse), but it's beginning to look attractive. Not everybody moves to NOVA for a bigger place....some people just want a condo they can afford. And when you have two incomes, the DC income tax starts to look obscene....all that money for some of the worst public schools and services in the country? I'd rather put it in my 401K

avocadoinparadise said...

I'm looking at condos too and have been concerned about the DC income tax vs the neighboring states. DC is most definitly cuter and more elegant. But is it worth the price?

Nathalie said...

I think it depends on what your priorities are and how you value various factors relative to one another. For me the most important factor is to have a walkable lifestyle and a short commute to work, stores and entertainment, so DC is a no-brainer. But I'm also single and nowhere near thinking about buying real estate. The DC tax code is pretty favorable to renters (as far as i can tell you can deduct part of your rent from your local taxes), and the rent control on my apt makes it less and less advantageous to move as time goes by.
Re: the poor services in DC - first of all it's a vicious circle. The more people flee to the 'burbs, the less of a tax base there is, the fewer services the city can provide etc. But at the same time, I bet there are all sorts of freebies you don't even know you have, like the DC public pool system, for example.

Anonymous said...

ha. some of the phoniest people in the world reside in the district and a lot of them tend to reside in the capital hill area. dc is highly segregated and people rarely interact with others outside of their socio-economic class. i live in trinidad and i've never seen any people like lo people like her like to exoticize the urban experience while neglecting the inequality and injustice that has grappled so many communities in the district. dc should be praised for its weak infastructure and corrupt local government? yes, culturally, dc is an amazing place but we should not be supporting the poverty and inequality that makes the city a gritty and real place.

i hate virginia but not because it's clean or boring. i dislike nova because they pretend to be these progressive liberals, while in reality they're just rednecks and bigots who support a racist and classist society.

The Deceiver said...

I was born in Washington, DC and currently live in Arlington. I don't care about the pretensions or hangups of either suburbanites or urbanites. I do what I want, when I want, wherever it happens to be. And as far as I am concerned, DC, NoVa, Maryland: it's ALL MINE and there isn't anyone who can stop me from having my good time. That is all. Carry on.

Two Shorten the Road said...

I moved down here from Brooklyn, NY, 7 years ago. Looked for an apartment in my price range near Eastern Market and in Adams Morgan for weeks and weeks. I was shocked at what was around in my price range -- windowless basements, rules that I couldn't use the washer/dryer IN the apartment (and I had to allow the landlords constant access), etc. I applied for a few that were doable, and was turned down. No idea why -- I had a decent job, no criminal record, yada yada. On a lark, and running out of time to find a place, I looked at an apartment in a high-rise in Old Town Alexandria that had a river view. And when I said I was interested, the landlord just asked me to sign a lease and fork over a deposit and the deal was done.

I did my time in borderline neighborhoods in a "scarier" city than this one. I ended up in the burbs because that's how it worked out after much adversity.

My point is that people's decisions aren't always based on the things you are assuming.

BTW, I didn't have a car until three years ago, either. Never thought I'd need one after being used to the NYC subway system, which will get you everywhere. In the DC metro, it was just a bitch to get around (as required by my job) in any dependable manner without one.

Two Shorten the Road said...

BTW, re the comment about taxing "freeloaders" -- DC DOES tax people who come in from VA and shop. Have you noticed the sales tax? You pay it too.

That's why I never shop in DC, and even if I lived there I would go to VA to shop. ;)

MB said...

See you all in Virginia when you have kids one day and need to send them to public school!