Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Monday, June 2, 2008

As an American in Ougadougou

General consensus, without beating around the bush, I feel like I am viewed as nice person with lots of money to most people in Ouagadougou.  However, in this case, if the word "viewed" was a country (if I may) then it would be Canada: peaceful and loved by all.  I should change the word "viewed" to a more targeted and edgy country such as, well, America.  I feel like I walk around with a huge, red, flashing, neon light above my noggin.  Sometimes I don't want to leave my apartment because of it.  I wouldn't take to being famous very well.  If I were Britney Spears, who has it 100x worse than I do, I would probably end up like, um... like Michael Jackson I guess.  Either that or fake my death like Tupac.

After talking to a few locals and just walking around and getting a feel for the people, I feel like they genuinely like me.  Money aside, they are mostly just intrigued by me.  America is the melting pot, but this place is pretty much all one race.  Even living back home in the east end of Louisville, KY (predominately white), if I see a brotha or sista walking down the street they stick out to me.  In cities like D.C., I couldn't even tell you who is white, black, latino, or M.I.B. agents.  Race is less apparent because of the constant mixture of people.  Living here gives you a feeling like you don't belong, but you are welcome to stay.  Here's an example that everyone can relate to:  Imagine you were back in your gangster days (some of you OG's out there don't have to imagine. Do you?  'cause you're still a G), and you walk through Crip territory wearing a Chicago Bulls Jersey with matching red shorts, a Red Sox hat, and you're blushing.  As you pimp-limp from corner to corner you can feel all eyes on you.  You're on the wrong side of the orchard and everyone knows it.  You accidentally bump into someone and the world stops turning because you see them reach into their pocket.  Unexpectedly, they all laugh, comment on the new silly color in their neighborhood, ask if you're lost or need help, and then give you a slice of a mango.  I can't really explain the feeling any better than that.

I was telling my buddy Moses last night how I felt like I stood out so much and I thought it was because of my skin and money.  He pretty much confirmed it and added that some people call him boss because he rides a scooter and they only have a bicycle to ride, donkey cart, or maybe ride nothing.  Can you picture a person riding nothing?  No.  You can't.  Because you can't see nothing.  

Congo told me that he was a big fan of Americans over Europeans and especially French.  Definitely not grinning ear to ear from my flag-waving pride,  I asked him him why?  First, he talked about how the French were difficult and lazy.  He said Americans were easier to get along with.  I told him how the nicest people that I met in my Eurotrip were french, but they definitely are not known to be workaholics.  Second, he told me that he loved the idea of the freedom to work as much as you want, creating as much wealth as you wanted.  This also comes from a guy whose career goal is to work six 12-hour days for the rest of his life.  

The down side is that I do get the occasional guy mean-mugging me.  I haven't figured that out yet, so I chalk it up to too much Haterade for those guys.  Also, its a given that with the bartering system in place here that the salesman/saleslady will hike the price up sometimes up to 8 times the amount the item should be sold.  Also, most don't mind selling it too me even though they know its a p.o.s.  

In closing, living like a mini-Britney Spears is kinda nice.  I haven't shown my crotch though because I haven't lost my mind or class, yet.  Oh, and its a good feeling to be an American in Ouagadougou. 


OUT



No comments: