Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

in defense of the city

I'd like to go back and address some things from this earlier post-

First of all, I hate driving or walking in NoVa. There is no rhyme or reason to the streets, you just have to know what goes where. In defense of Virgina however, it's like that in most cities- including my hometown in North Carolina, and in suburban Maryland, where I grew up.

As for suburbia- it never ceases to amaze me when I travel how anti-suburb I've become. On a business trip to Atlanta, I think I ended up with reverse claustrophobia (agoraphobia?) because everything is SO spread out. There's no density, you have to drive everywhere- it's just insane. I can't imagine living like that. Walking and taking public transportation force you to become more involved and have a greater stake in your community- after all, you're constantly interacting with your neighbors. You learn who belongs, and who's a new face. And you meet far more people than you would sitting in traffic on I-66.

In terms of safety, I'd like to make the argument that walking and taking public transportation can make you more safe than driving. In walking around my neighborhood, I've gotten to know what things are supposed to be like- the homeless man always hangs out in front of Starbucks on 13th and U, the mom and her kid that are always on the 8:25 54 bus downtown, the lovely Italian gentleman who always hangs out in front of his restaurant, welcoming people in, the girls double-dutching in the street that live two doors down, the other group house on the end of the block, etc. It's much easier for me to spot things that are out of the ordinary, because I have a good sense of who comes and goes and the rhythms of my neighborhood that I would if my walk home consisted of a five second jaunt from my car to my door. In my jaunts around my neighborhood, I've even gotten to know my local police officer. I guarantee that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for my wanderings (granted, that might say something about effective neighborhood policing, but that's for another time). I have several friends in the neighborhood- I run into them walking to work or to dinner or to the gym. Being in a car all the time doesn't facilitate that sort of interaction.

Now, I'm not slamming car culture....well, maybe I am. Here, in the greater DC area, it's not necessary. It hurts far more than it helps. Many of the things that people complain about in DC would go a long way towards being fixed if people took more of an active interest in their neighborhoods, instead of merely viewing them as some place to park a car and sleep at night.

The safety issue brings up something else for me- as it gets warmer, I find myself being catcalled a LOT more. It's irritating and upsets me because I know if I wear a skirt or a cute dress (hell, or gym shorts and a tank top), whistles, stopped cars, and all that other crap will ensue. It's enough to make me want to change clothes before I walk out of my door sometimes. At the same time, it's my neighborhood, and I flat-out refuse to be made to feel uncomfortable in it. In much the same way that a few ill-mannered assholes won't make me change my clothes, I'd like to think I won't let them drive me to isolate myself in a car either.

I've been in DC proper for almost six years (and another six in PG County). In that time, I've lived in AU Park, Cleveland Park, Eastern Market, and the Southwest Waterfront. I can honestly say this is my current neighborhood is the best place I've lived so far.

And for what it's worth, I live on the green line :)

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

I agree about walking/metro/bus/biking being good for community integration. One of my gripes about DC (and I don't have many) is that so many people (and by people, I mean yuppies) treat it as some sort of a young-adult Disneyland to play in for a few years before moving back "home" to start their real lives. They don't have DC licenses, pay taxes, know or care about long-term local issues, or feel particularly invested in the community. But on the other hand I do love that people are always coming and coming - I would hate to live somewhere like Louisville, where no one new never moves in and no one ever leaves.