Culture – the way of life of a group of people passed down from one generation to the next through learning
Enculturation – learning our native culture(s) in childhood
Acculturation – adapting to another culture
Culture shock – the stress associated with acculturation

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

His & Hers - Nature or Nurture?

I've never been married nor lived with anyone, but I definitely agree with the generalizations about heterosexual relationships described in this NYT article. Both the data and anecdotal evidence from my coworkers, mentors and other couples I know strongly support the idea that women do the brunt of the housework, men make more money (and if they don't, they wish they did), she wants to talk more and he wants sex (I'm guessing a bit on those last two). Even when both partners say they want an egalitarian relationship, more often than not it just doesn't happen, and I think it boils down to deep-rooted expectations of who little boys and girls should grow up to be. As theoretically egalitarian as I am, I expect myself to cook and keep house well, and my guy friends tell me that they expect themselves to earn enough to support their eventual wife and kids - whether or not your partner actually expects that of you. There's also an element of "gee-wouldn't-it-be-nice if I could afford to stay home with the (theoretical) baby for a year or two", or "if the brilliant, talented woman I marry also happens to be a gourmet chef with Penelope Cruz's looks."
it's good to know that it isn't necessarily biologically-based. It's also reassuring that in my experience marriages get more egalitarian with each generation. My parents' marriage was more egalitarian than either of my sets of grandparents', and I'm much more comfortable with the idea of an egalitarian relationship than my parents are. For example, my dad thinks I should clean my apartment more thoroughly to get in the habit before I have a mother-in-law (who will judge mu suitability as a wife and mother based on that), and my mom thinks it's improper to call boys on the telephone - apparently that's "brassy". Oh and if anyone who speaks "Mom" can tell me what "brassy" means, that would be great.

No comments: